Sunday, October 21, 2007

sleep, daddy toe, psychosomatic symptoms

O to sleep. Not too much of it going on around here. Want to help us out? Send a nap:). Sy has never been a real solid, through the night sleeper. We have lamented about this on and off through the last year or so, but I guess continual interrupted sleep does prepare one slightly better for a situation such as our current one. It is understandable. I would most likely need to be medicated to sleep if my body stayed in one position all the time. He doesn't complain. He just has needs. To snuggle; probably Sy's greatest desire at night. He squirms, he insists on holding hands, he puts his head as close to my face as he can get with a fiberglass cast in the way. I want to hold him too, almost physically need to, like when he was a baby, but it is giving my body some serious aches and pains. Somehow, Sy has a 6th sense (even while sleeping) for when I roll over. "Nooooooo, I need you to face me...I need to hold your hand." So, for the last three weeks, I have slept on my left side. This is good if you are pregnant or if you need to perfuse your body through the night . Neither of these apply to me. My shoulder is screaming, but I am going to try my best to keep my mouth shut about it (except for the blog of course) because again, I can imagine how uncomfortable it must be for him. So there is snuggling. Then there is needing to pee. He goes in a urinal, without complaint or problems, but he does need help to do this...glasses, light, where is that urinal?, try not to get any on the cast or the bed, "are you done?" "now?" "how about now?" Dump. Rinse. Sleep? Then, then, then, there is the "Daddy toe." This is the great toe on the right, non broken leg, side. The "daddy toe" hurts Sy, especially at night. We can only speculate...he gets toe cramps?...he over uses it while scooching around?...he broke it?...It's numb? Whatever the case, the "daddy toe" often needs to be rubbed for varying snippets of time throughout the night. Also needing to be rubbed is the "itchy spots." I am compliant with this even if I just fell into the nicest, deepest sleep with a dream about tequila and avos on a mexican beach. Seriously, one of dante's level's of hell has got to be a place where you have itches you can not scratch. Ahhhhhhhhh. I am compliant. He gives me the basic location, I reach my finger in the cast crevices as far as I possibly can and rub/scratch until I hear "BEEP." "Beep" means we have relieved the itch (o yes:) or we can not reach it and he is finally ready to give up. He needs and deserves the control over this, but I confess I am often asking "did we get it?" "can we be done?" long before he is ready to give the "Beep" sound.
And finally, there are the psychosomatic symptoms that plague all of us at times, but disproportionately affect the 5yr old sister of the household. Again, it is understandable. It is also trying to be empathetic to complaints that do not have a true physical origin. I never knew just how much having a job that requires me to be empathetic to sometimes irrational people would help with parenting. The most recent ailment involves an ankle that is most likely sprained or strained or possibly broken!!! The ankle needs massage. The ankle makes it difficult to walk here or there, go to gym, go to school. The ankle requires placebo medication and in the name of fairness, the ankle requires movie watching. In all fairness to O, this has been a major adjustment to her lifestyle and she has done very well all things considered.
It is a blog. It is where I vent. It is cheaper and more convenient than therapy. Honestly though, we are doing very well:).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you are doing amazing well, vent away it is the best therapy